Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Change

Hi everyone just a little bit of time has passed since the last blog (lol). Just had a few thoughts I would like to share with everyone.

As you can see from the title "change" is what is on my mind. I think to some degree we are all resistant to change and although change is not always good, being stagnant achieves nothing.

We all know that SL has over the last 12 months made a few significant changes, among them the move to keeping "adult" content separate and more recently the release of Viewer 2.0.

Personally I have tried 2.0 and it is not for me, although in saying that there are some really good things about it and I am glad that we have the option of 3rd party viewers who I am sure will eventually incorporate some of the better changes in 2.0.

As I am sure most of this reading this are aware The Cage recently made it into the Second Life Destination Guide. Amber had applied before and never been accepted. The difference this time I truly believe is because of a mix of change and tradition – the new look of the club and the fact that it has been around since 2007.


We did expect to see some response to the inclusion in the guide, never in our wildest dreams did we expect it to such a large one. Being curious I decided to log into viewer 2.0 again (a) so I at least had some basics to help out new people; and (b) hoping to find out why V2 was causing such an impact. What I found when I went to search (yes I know from reading SL blogs that search sucks) was that there is a huge tab for Destination Guide, so it was obvious that that was the reason, I mean a new person clicking here there and everywhere to find out how things would could not miss it.

It has been a long time since I have been in an area where a lot of new SLers arrive. What I noticed (most of the new arrivals were between fresh born and 3 days old) was that out of all of those I am aware of only one running around with a freenis asking for sex. Yet in the past that was extremely common, and out of the numbers we had coming through would have been a lot more than one. I can only put it down to the change in adult content.

I have no problem with adult content, but I do think this is one change that has been for the better, we still have it but SL is about so much more than that. It is good that people coming in are now being exposed to other parts of SL. I am sure you have all seen many articles where Second Life was portrayed as mainly about sex even though it has always been about a plethora of things. So I think this change has been a success, even though I am sure there would be many who disagree.

We all know that SL have a history of mismanaging change, so I am hopeful that the upcoming changes they are making to Xstreet are as good as they look.

Feel free to let me know what you think?

Ciao for now

QQ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think change is good or bad depending on the context. I think in terms of The Cage, the change is good. It wasn't realized at first because it hit everyone like a freight train and included some unsavory characters. But in retrospect it was a positive change overall because among those newbies who came and left like the wind, some of the newbies stayed and became attached.

In terms of V2, however, it sucks in my opinion. Software is notorious for undergoing regular change, and after awhile, it can turn ugly. I can equate Second Life's revamp to many Microsoft product revamps (e.g. Word and Windows). The problem is that the companies don't care about their consumers. No matter how satisfied the customers are with a certain version of software, the company will revamp it anyways. They should just stick to updates, where bugs are fixed, instead of complete revamps where the interface and functionality are changed, leading to customers having to essentially relearn how to use the product.